I have been looking at and just loving old piano’s that have been converted to a bar. I love the piano and I think it is fabulous that these beautiful old piano’s that are not longer functioning are having the workmanship rescued by turning it into something beautiful.
That being said, I have been watching for an old piano that is obviously not able to be saved for the music to turn into my computer desk. I finally found one on Craigslist for basically free, but because I needed it delivered, I ended up getting it for $80. (They only asked $60, but it was a beast to get into my basement, so I gave them an extra $20)
Here is the photo from the Craigslist listing. I knew it was going to have spent time in someone’s garage, shed or even a barn, so I knew it was going to take a lot of cleaning up.
Well, I got started by scraping away some of the parts of the wood that had probably been stained or something like that when it was made. It could have been a shellac, but I just know that over the years, it was very easy to just scrap off with my Pazzles Mat Scraper.
Then I started removing pieces. The right side of the keys were a mess. They had obviously had some mice living there at some point. I found an entire bed, but got it vacuumed out and just pulled the stuff out by hand.
I started to remove the keys from right to left and about 1/3 of the way through, I look to my left and there was a little mouse. I admit, I swore under my breath, because I knew I was going to have to take care of the situation. More on that later.
I finished removing the keys. I threw away the ones from the right side where the mouse house was and put the ones from the left into a box for a future project. (I have big plans…*grin)
I would take a break for an hour here and an hour there to do some work for my job. Then I would go back to removing more pieces.
In the evening, as I turned on the Designer Chat for my job. I was working on things with my computer and I started hearing piano noises. I caught a little bit of it here after I saw him pop his head up to say hi.
We got a few photos of him before we went and got the humane traps from my daughter, so that we could deliver Mouzart to the country when we catch him. I had hoped when I woke up this morning he would be joyfully waiting for me and ready for a car ride. Unfortunately, he wasn’t.
I have since visited the hardware store and got some sticky traps. My hope is that he will still find the humane traps, but if not, then I will still get him out of the house in other ways. I may have lost the first battle, but I will win the war.
I’m not going to lie. He is kind of cute, but it is also freaking me out a little. Mice don’t scare me, but they scurry and that usually shoots my heart rate up pretty fast when I’m not ready for it, so I don’t like that part. Plus, sitting here working in my studio is a little rough today, because I am on high alert.
Here are a series of the photos of the initial clean up and taking apart. I will do a full blog on the actual process of creating the desk after I finish up here. I got a good start, but there is more work ahead. First, I need to conquer the smell. (I’m making progress.)
Before I got started.